Wednesday, June 14, 2006

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER ARTICLE BY PATTER: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD

WHEN I WAS A CHILD
BY PAT GULLEY


1 Cor 13:11
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (KJV)


I have many, many memories from my childhood. I loved being a kid. I never had a clue as to whether things were good or bad for my family, for our neighbors, or for our nation. Our country fought two wars during my childhood, WW2 and Korea. But all I knew was that times were great at our house. We had enough food to eat and warm clothes to wear. I thought my Dad knew everything about everything and I trusted him with all my heart. My Mother was a stay-at-home Mom and she spent her life in taking care of my two sisters and me.

Matt 18:2-4
(2) And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
(3) And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
(4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (KJV)


I looked forward to starting school, as I couldn't wait to learn to read. I was a quick learner and good grades came easy for me. I was more than willing to participate in class and raised my hand on every question; but all I really wanted to do was get to recess.

I grew up believing in God. I never ever doubted the fact of His existence. I had a lot of questions I longed to ask Him and I loved going to Church and Sunday School. I thank my parents for seeing to it that I got a good start in life by teaching by example their faith in God. We prayed before every meal and before going to sleep at night. Of course I am remembering my childhood from an advantage point of selective memory. I suppose if I wanted to, I could find many things to complain about, but I truly would have to rack my brain to come up with something.

As I entered my teen years things got a wee bit more complicated. I know now that it was a very good time to be a teenager compared to today; but I suppose that all teens think they are the first ones to experience life on this planet. Times were good and living was fun. My Dad and Mom took an active roll in my High School years and I will be forever grateful for that.

I have walked many miles since those childhood years but I still remember them with warm and loving thoughts. Today I look at things differently than when I was a child. (Of course I still believe that my Dad knows everything about everything and I still trust him with all my heart.) But I now understand that life is not as simple as I thought it was then.

I appreciate how difficult it is to raise a family and to bring them to adulthood with a sense of values, honesty, and integrity. I understand that even though I entered the Kingdom of God as a child, my Heavenly Father does expect me to mature into a vessel He can use in His way and His time. Putting away childhood things is not too difficult when you replace them with the love and understanding of a living God. We have a heavenly Father who knows all about us and is still willing to receive us as His own. As a Christian, I trust Him now and always will. And I look forward to seeing Him face to face. I am very blessed to be a Child of God and to be sheltered in His arms. I am also willing to work with Him and to walk with Him all the days of my life on this planet. And I thank my Heavenly Father for my earthly father.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home